This recipe is fun to make. Which is important in teaching kids how to cook I think. I have been teaching a little one how to cook lately and this is one of the recipes we used. So far we have learned to make soft Philadelphia pretzels(recipe coming up soon), cake and cupcakes, and a simple dinner and pizza. Making things fun and cute goes a long way to helping children learn how to do things. It is especially good if they get to try them out afterward!
Here is a list of ingredients for these cupcakes. !
1 package (18.25 oz.) plain yellow cake mix ( or your own recipe if you have one you like)
1 package (3.4 oz.) vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup whole milk
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
Vanilla or Cream Cheese Frosting
Nontoxic food coloring to tint frosting
Jellied fruit slices, mini candied licorice sticks, and Gummi Worms for decoration .
Of course you can make any decoration you wish on top.
1. Preheat your oven to 350º F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
2. Blend cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil, eggs, and extracts in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again, if needed. Spoon or scoop batter into each cup, filling it almost to the top.
3. Bake in middle of oven until cupcakes are golden and spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cupcakes cool in pans on racks, 15 minutes. Remove from pans.
4. Meanwhile, divide frosting between two bowls. Tint frosting in one bowl with food coloring, if desired; keep frosting in remaining bowl white.
5. Place a heaping tablespoon frosting on each cupcake and swirl to spread it smoothly with a short metal spatula or spoon, covering the top completely. Decorate with candy. Makes 22 to 24 cupcakes.