Thursday, October 06, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken

You can use wings, drum sticks and thighs for this recipe.


The Batter:
1 c. cornstarch or flour
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 beaten egg
1 tsp. savory salt or seasoning salt (garlic)
Add milk to make a paste. Heat oil to deep fry.

I never trust deep frying to really cook chicken as sometimes the outside is done but not the inside. I am also not a fan of deep frying things in general as its dangerous and too fatty as well.
I par boil my chicken to make sure it will be completely cooked before I fry it. Yup, I do. And yes, I have heard all the no no's about it. Its my own personal quirk.
Then I dip it in the batter and fry it in a frying pan with enough olive oil and turn the pieces often until they are crispy and golden.
Drain on paper towels to absorb excess grease.


The dipping sauce:

1 c. sugar
1/3 c. water
2 tbsp. ketchup
2/3 c. vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce (use the low sodium)
Mix all ingredients, boil, stir. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
You can coat the pieces before serving or you can put the sauce into little bowls and let people dip for themselves.

Serve with Rice , with pineapple, with broccoli or just as an appetizer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment