3 cups of flour
1 and 1/2 cup of very warm, almost hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2Tablespoons of shortening
3 tablespoons of powdered milk (I usually don't use milk in these at all)
3 Teaspoons of baking powder.
Oil to fry with
Extra flour for handling the dough.
- Sift the flour, salt, powdered milk(if you use it), and baking powder into a large bowl.
- cut in shortening and mix to a pea like consistency
- Pour the water over the flour mixture
- Stir the dough with a fork to form a ball.
- Flour your hands and mix the bread with them and then form a ball. (Don't knead it like regular bread or it will get heavy.)
- Form circles with your hands about 5 inches round.
- In a deep heavy pot, heat the vegetable oil to about 350 degrees F.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown and bubbled up.